Liberalization of liquefied natural gas supporting rise of ICE TTF & JKM
Total Natural Gas Futures and Options OI +11% y/y
TTF Futures OI +40% y/y; JKM LNG (Platts) Futures and Options OI +48% y/y
AMSTERDAM & LONDON (STL.News) Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. (NYSE:ICE), a leading operator of global exchanges and clearing houses and provider of mortgage technology, data and listings services, announces record activity across its TTF and JKM LNG (Platts) natural gas benchmarks as participants responded to volatile market conditions set against the ongoing liberalization of liquefied natural gas.
Market participants are utilizing the TTF and JKM LNG (Platts) contracts to manage their risk in record quantities. This is reflected in the activity set out below:
- TTF Futures hit record Open Interest (OI) of approximately 1.9 million contracts on January 27;
- TTF Futures and Options hit record Daily Volume of more than 347,500 contracts on January 12;
- TTF Futures ADV increased 67% year-over-year, with OI up 40%;
- TTF Futures and Options hit record Monthly Volume of approximately 4 million contracts in January, beating the previous record set in January 2020;
- JKM LNG (Platts) hit a combined Futures and Options OI record of approximately 125,000 contracts on January 14;
- JKM Futures hit record Monthly Volume of more than 91,500 contracts in January; and
- ADV in JKM LNG (Platts) Futures and Options increased 37% with OI up 48% year-over-year.