Florida News: Attorney General Ashley Moody’s Statement on the Suspension of Sheriff Scott Israel
TALLAHASSEE, FL – Jan. 12, 2019 Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody yesterday released the following statement on the suspension of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel:
“There is ample support in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission Report to remove Sheriff Scott Israel. This includes:
– A lack of training in responding to active shooter situations, even after the Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooting;
– A lack of attention to resources, which caused the BSO radio system to fail at a critical point;
– A failure to quickly establish a command post and to take control of coordinating the tactical response;
– A lack of coordination with other responding agencies; and
– The failure of multiple officers who encountered the assailant before this incident, but failed to follow up on his clear mental health issues and violent tendencies.